What are easements?

In all new residential developments and many older developments, there are easements along all property lines. These easements vary from 5 feet in width to over 20 feet in width and are meant to allow public access for drainage and utility purposes. These easements are shown on the plat of your property.

If you do not have a copy of your property plat you can obtain a copy from the Planning Department. These drainage and utility easements are critical for the drainage of water throughout an entire development. No fill or structures are allowed to be established in drainage and utility easements that alter the drainage of the development. Also, anything established in drainage and utility easements may be disturbed if utility work needs to be done in the future.

Note: Before you do any digging always contact Gopher State One at 800-252-1166 to have your utility lines marked.

Before placing anything in an easement please contact the

Public Works Department.

Show All Answers

1. When and why do I need a building permit?
2. What else do I have to consider when considering building or adding onto an existing structure?
3. What are easements?